Last updated June 21, 2018
If you are unsure what you would like to pursue while at college, you are not alone. Approximately 65% of American college students are still exploring their options when entering college and over the last two years over one third of the incoming students have been undecided about their major. Additionally, some students come into college with a major in mind, only to find out that once they begin their coursework they would like to change. The reasons are unique for each student and so is the process of deciding upon a major.
At Morningside you have over 60 academic majors to choose from –as well as minors and emphasis areas to consider. Exploring and choosing an academic major, similar to finding a career, is easier when you take a step back to develop a sense of who you are – exploring your interests, values, skills, personality, and strengths.
Ask Yourself This While Exploring
- What are your interests - things you like or don’t like?
- What skills and abilities do you already possess?
- What skills do you want?
- What do you value? In yourself, or others? In a future place of employment or job?
- What are you passionate about? What do you feel is your purpose or calling?
- What are some of your career aspirations?
- What campus events (speakers, etc.) are taking place that look interesting?
- What organizations on campus can help you explore major and career options?
- How do the majors you are considering fit with who you are?
Things to Consider When Narrowing Down A Major
- What types of classes are offered as a part of the major? What is your reaction to these required courses?
- Does the major offer room for minors, areas or concentration, or specializations?
- Does the major require a certain GPA standard or application/audition process?
- Will graduate school be strongly encouraged after the completion of the major?
- Do you like the idea of continuing for a graduate degree following your undergraduate work?
- What excites you or does not excite you about the major?
Check out this information about some of our departments