MySide Search
MySide Site Logo
Home » Campus Offices » Academic Advising - Krone Advising Center » International Students » Employment- On-campus, CPT, OPT, Social Security & Taxes

Employment- On-campus, CPT, OPT, Social Security & Taxes

Last updated March 15, 2019

As an international student on an F-1 status visa, there are very specific guidelines you must follow for employment. For additional information review information on the Department of Homeland Security website.


Employment Options:

Applying for Social Security:

All international students who receive compensation for work must apply for a social security number. For additional and accurate up-to-date information review the Department of Homeland Security website.                             


All individuals in the U.S. in F or J status, including dependents, must file the appropriate tax forms with the U.S. government even if the individual earned no income in the U.S.  Please refer to the IRS website for most accurate and appropriate information. Most commonly required documents to file your Federal taxes are as follows:

Form Purpose of Form Instructions
1040NR U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return  1040NR Form Instructions
1040NREZ  U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens with no Dependents 1040NREZ Form Instructions
8843 Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition (if you earned no income) N/A

Additional helpful links: