MySide Search
MySide Site Logo
Home » Campus Offices » Academic Advising » International Students » International Student Employment

International Student Employment

Last updated February 20, 2020

As an international student on an F-1 status visa, there are very specific guidelines you must follow for employment. For additional information, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website.


Employment Options


On-campus employment is work that F-1 students whose status is Active in SEVIS status may apply for. On-campus employment is specific to work that takes place on campus or at an off-campus location that is affiliated with the school. Reach out to individual departments on campus to see who is hiring non-work study positions and learn about their hiring process. Common departments include security, food services, event scheduling/set up, and maintenance.

Guidelines for on-campus employment

  • Student may only work for a total 20 hours per week while classes are in session 
  • While not in session (Summer) students may work between 20-40 hours per week
  • You must have a Social Security number before you can begin working


Off-campus Training Opportunities

Curriculuar Practical Training

CPT is an authorization for students to complete a paid or unpaid internship off-campus. The internship must be a part of the curriculum in coursework and be directly related to their declared major/areas of study. 

Optional Practical Training

OPT is a temporary 12-month work permit for a student requesting to work in the United States in a field related to their major/area of study after graduation.