MySide Search
MySide Site Logo

International Student Taxes

Last updated July 07, 2020


The resources on this page were prepared by Morningside College as general guidelines to assist you in preparing your Iowa and Federal Government income tax returns. The information here is not to be construed as professional tax advice and does not apply to every situation. If your tax circumstances are more complicated, you will want to obtain professional tax advice from resources in the community. 

All individuals in the U.S. on F or J status, including dependents, must file the appropriate tax forms with the U.S. government even if the individual earned no income in the U.S.  Please refer to the IRS website for most accurate and appropriate information. The common required documents to file your Federal taxes are as follows:

8843: Statement for Exempt Individuals

  • All International students are required to file for 8843 even if they did not work in the U.S. 

1040-NR-EZ: U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Nonresident Aliens With No Dependents

  • Use this form if your only income from U.S. sources is wages, salaries, tips, refunds of state and local income taxes, scholarship or fellowship grants, and you do not claim any dependents



Additional Resources