MySide Search
MySide Site Logo

Social Security

Last updated February 20, 2020

Social Security Number

All international students who receive compensation for work must apply for a Social Security Number. A Social Security Number is a nine-digit number the Social Security Administration uses to report wages to the government, track Social Security benefits, and for other identification purposes. For additional and accurate up-to-date information review the Department of Homeland Security website

You must have a job offer before you can apply for a Social Security Number. If you know you would like to work on campus, please wait 10 days after arrival before you submit your application. This will give all of the appropiate systems time to update your information. 

As an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:

  • Identifies you;
  • Confirms your current school status; and
  • Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.

You will also need to show evidence of your employment in the form of a letter from your employer. Your supervisor must sign and date the letter. The letter must describe:

  • Your job;
  • Your employment start date;
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and
  • Your supervisor's name and telephone number

In addition, you will also need to provide


Once you have all necessary documentation, contact Andre McWell to coordinate a visit the Social Security Office.


For additional information review the Social Security Administration website.