Last updated May 20, 2019
Students interested in chiropractic take courses to prepare them for entry into a professional program at a chiropractic college. Admission to chiropractic medical school does not require the MCAT. A dual degree program is available with Palmer College of Chiropractic – Davenport Campus (Davenport, Iowa), Northwestern College of Chiropractic in Minneapolis, and Cleveland College of Chiropractic in Kansas City, Missouri. For details contact the chair of the biology department.
Some questions to ask yourself when considering chiropractic school:
- Am I committed to serving others?
- Do I have a strong interest in science?
- Do I enjoy working with people?
- Do I enjoy working with my hands and problem-solving?
- Have I shadowed a chiropractor? Am I interested in the work chiropractors do?
- Am I committed to the time, money and effort involved in chiropractic education?
- Do I have empathy? Can I see myself working with people who may be in pain or afraid?
Understanding Your Undergraduate Path:
Students at Morningside College who identify as Pre-Chiropractic typically major in Biology and/or Chemistry and then add appropriate prerequisites. Typical prerequisite courses are in the areas of business (a minor is recommended), english, the social sciences, humanities, organic and inorganic chemistry, biology, physics, and psychology (specific psychology courses may vary depending on the school). Each institution offering a Chiropractic program has its own undergraduate prerequisites, so applicants should contact the school or college of their choice for specific requirements. Be sure to consult with your Academic Adviser, Faculty Adviser, or an adviser at the school or college of chiropractic that you plan to attend.
Interested in one of our dual programs? Check it out as a Biology major or ANY major by adding the appropriate prerequisites from your school of interest:
- Chiropractic 3 + 1 Biology B.A. Four Year Plan
- Chiropractic 3 + 1 Biology B.S. Four Year Plan
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Cleveland
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Palmer
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Northwestern
Students need to earn at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA. Additionally, students should consider other involvements to help them to be competitive in the application process. These include, but are not limited to: research, shadowing, and volunteer service hours.
Applying for Chiropractic School:
Applicants must have at least 90 semester hours of undergraduate study leading toward a bachelor's degree, including prerequisite courses. Since it is not a minimum requirement yet, some students can complete the requirements in two years and then go, if they are accepted. Many applicants have a bachelor's degree, which may eventually become the minimum entry requirement so you are strongly encouraged to pursue completion of a degree.
Requirements for admission usually include the following:
- Letters of recommendation (one from a chiropractor would be great)
- An interview
- An essay and personal statement