Last updated April 05, 2018
Students interested in chiropractic take courses to prepare them for entry into a professional program at a chiropractic college. Admission to chiropractic medical school does not require the MCAT. A dual degree program is available with Palmer College of Chiropractic– Davenport Campus (Davenport Iowa), Northwestern College of Chiropractic in Minneapolis, and Cleveland College of Chiropractic in Kansas City, Missouri. For details contact the chair of the biology department.
Some questions to ask yourself when considering chiropractic school:
- Am I committed to serving others?
- Do I have a strong interest in science?
- Do I enjoy working with people?
- Do I enjoy working with my hands and problem solving?
- Have I shadowed a chiropractor? Am I interested in the work chiropractors do?
- Am I committed to the time, money and effort involved in chiropractic education?
- Do I have empathy? Can I see myself working with people who may be in pain or afraid?
Understanding your undergraduate path:
Students at Morningside College who identify as Pre-Chiropractic typically major in Biology and/or Chemistry and then add appropriate prerequisites. Typical prerequisite courses include areas in english, the social sciences or humanities, organic and inorganic chemistry, biology, physics, and psychology (specific psychology courses may vary depending on the school), and some electives. Each institution offering a Chiropractic program has its own undergraduate prerequisites, so applicants should contact the school or college of their choice for specific requirements. Be sure to consult with your First Year Adviser, Faculty Adviser, or an adviser at the school or college of chiropractic that you plan to attend.
Interested in one of our dual programs? Check it out as a Biology major OR ANY major by ADDING the appropriate pre-requistites from your school of interest:
- Chiropractic 3 + 1 Biology B.A. Four Year Plan
- Chiropractic 3 + 1 Biology B.S. Four Year Plan
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Cleveland
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Palmer
- Admissions & Prerequisites for Northwestern
Students need to also consider the following requirements during their undergraduate path:
- Earning at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA is recommended
- No standardized exam
- Recommended involvements to be competitive in the application process: research, shadowing, volunteer service hours, and earned awards
Applying for Chiropratic School:
Applicants must have at least 90 semester hours of undergraduate study leading toward a bachelor's degree, including prerequisite courses. Since it is not a minimum requirement yet, some students can complete the requirements in two years and then go, if they are accepted. Many applicants have a bachelor's degree, which may eventually become the minimum entry requirement so you are strongly encouraged to pursue completion of a degree.
Requirements for admission usually include the following:
- Will need letters of recommendation (one from a chiropractor would be great)
- An interview is required
- Students will write an essay & personal statement
- Please refer to recommendations in “Understanding your Undergraduate Path”