Registering with Disability Services for Student Life Purposes
Last updated December 13, 2018
Dietary Accommodations and/or Meal Plan Exemptions Process
For any student life (non-academic) request for accommodation due to a qualifying disability, the student should contact the Disability Services Coordinator in the Disability Services Office.
Morningside’s dining services offer a wide variety of nutrition options capable of accommodating most dietary needs. The College may exempt a student from the required meal plan as an accommodation for a medical condition/allergy which rises to the level of a disability. [Note: Such meal plan exemptions are not granted for dietary choices.]
To request a dietary accommodation or meal plan exemption follow this process:
1. Complete the Student Form and deliver it to Disability Services located in the Krone Advising Center by July 1 for fall requests and November 1st for spring requests.
2. Request that a physician who is qualified to diagnose and treat your condition complete the Physician Form and send it to the College via:
Fax Number: 712-274-5101--Attention to: Lillian J. López
Mail: 1501 Morningside Avenue, Sioux City, IA, 51106
3. Once the completed forms are submitted, the Disability Services Coordinator and Sodexo General Manager will review the request.
a) If accommodations are being requested, a meeting will be scheduled with you to discuss your request and what accommodations can be provided.
b) If a meal plan exemption is requested and dining services determines it cannot meet your needs, you will be notified via email that your request for a meal plan exemption has been granted and your student account will be pro-rated, if needed.
- A recommendation from a licensed health care provider does not guarantee the student will receive accommodations and/or a meal plan exemption.
- Requests received after the deadline(s) will not generally be considered until the following semester unless a medical condition or disability arises in the interim.
- You have an obligation to pay for your meal plan until a request for a meal plan exemption is approved.
- Morningside residence halls do not have adequate kitchen facilities for full meal-preparation. If a meal plan exemption is granted, a housing waiver may also be granted.
Housing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
Please refer to our Residence Life website for information regarding this process: