Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
Last updated April 05, 2021
The DEI Committee is responsible for coordinating and overseeing activities and events on campus involving topics focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. The committee is comprised of faculty, staff, and students.
The DEI Committee was established with the goal of advancing positive change and creating a community where all students, faculty, and staff at Morningside are heard, welcomed, and supported.
Powers and Duties of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee:
- To organize and execute activities throughout the year focused on conversations relevant to topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To sponsor academic and cultural special events and programming pertaining to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To cultivate and assess a campus environment that embraces diversity and inclusion; cultural awareness and understanding; and provides all students, faculty, and staff with the opportunity to celebrate diversity and self-identity.
- To serve as a liaison and pipeline for discussions and ideas regarding diversity originating from various offices and organizations across campus.
DEI Events and Opportunities
Watch this space for upcoming opportunities and recordings from previous events.
- Honoring Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta: The History of the Farm Workers Movement and a Theatrical Performance
A special thank you to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni who contributed to this educational video for the event on March 30, 2021.
- Reading from Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"
Read by the campus community and recorded on MLK Day 2021
If you are interested in learning more about the DEI committee or if you need to speak with someone regarding an incident, please contact Andre McWell, Director of Persistence and Diversity, or any of the following committee members:
Director of Persistence and Diversity
Chair, DEI Committee; Assistant Professor of Spanish
Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication
Assistant Professor of Biology
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Head Men's and Women's Swim Coach