MySide Search
MySide Site Logo

FAQ’s:  Student Notebook Program

Last updated January 05, 2021

All full-time students receive an Apple MacBook Air with Mac OS or Windows 10 operating system as selected.  Access to Office 365 included – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.   Model year of computer is based on anticipated graduation year and will be refreshed according to the current technology refresh schedule.

For the semester beginning August 2020, computer distributions will be coordinated to follow social distancing practices.  Information on scheduling a day/time will be communicated by Admissions.

The three agreements you accepted during the computer selection process on your Admissions Dashboard will be referenced again at the time of computer assignment:

  • Student Notebook Computer Agreement
  • Computer Ethics and Network Acceptable Use Policy
  • Microsoft Student Acceptance Form

Computer configurations and the above agreements may be reviewed at: “Student Computers” from the "Quick Links" menu for these and other topics related to the Student Notebook Computer Program.

Q: Do I need insurance for my new computer?

A: YES -- Laptops are purchased with a 3-year Apple Care+ warranty that covers hardware repairs and accidental damage, however it does not cover theft or loss. All students are liable for the loss or theft of their computers. Please check that the family homeowners or renters insurance covers the laptop whether at home, college, or traveling. Purchase a rider that will cover the laptop for theft or loss.

Q: What if my laptop is lost or stolen?

A:  Report the theft to the local Police Dept. and to Campus Security. Then, call or email the Student Notebook Coordinator with the Police Report Number and summary of what happened. If you are filing a claim with your insurance company, contact the Student Notebook Coordinator for the configuration and replacement value of the laptop. More Info  When you are issued the laptop, one of the first things to do is to register it with “find my mac”. (Google for complete instructions). 

Q: Am I responsible for repairing my computer?

A:  Computer warranty and Accidental Damage Protection:

Apple computers come with 3-yr AppleCare+ warranty. Accidental damage protection service is handled by the college and is included in the technology fee. There is a $200 deductible per damage incident. (After the first damage incident, additional charges may apply based on repair cost estimate). Repairs are provided on-campus through the Technology Services Center. They provide both hardware and software support and are located in the lower level of the Olsen Student Center. Loaner computers are available at no charge if extended repairs are needed.

Q: What about printing ?

A: There are 22 Student Print Stations located throughout campus, including all residence halls and academic buildings.  There are 20 black & white, with 2 color print stations.  Color print stations are located in Olsen Student Center (lower level) & the other in Buhler-Rohlfs Hall on the bridge.  More info.

Q: Can I run Windows on a Mac?

A:  YES--The Apple MacBook laptops can run the Mac OS or Windows operating system. If you initially selected Mac OS and later wish to have Windows installed, please make an appointment at Tech Services.

Q: What else will I need for my dorm room?

A:  While wireless access for your computer is available across the majority of campus, you will need to connect devices such as gaming boxes through the Ethernet port in your room. Ethernet cables are available at local retailers or online.

A:  It is a good idea to purchase a portable external hard drive, such as a thumb drive to save your documents.  

Q: How long do I keep this computer?

A:  The College has a 2 yr technology refresh program. All incoming freshman receive a new computer, then “refresh” with a new computer at the start of their junior year.
Transfer/Re-Admitted students will receive the model year that coincides with the technology refresh schedule based on anticipated graduation year.  Get more information here. 

Q: How do I save a back up copy of my homework?

A: We strongly encourage all students to back up their data regularly.  The College provides a safe secure network drive for students to save all their coursework; "Google Drive."  See:  Google Drive setup.
A.  It is highly recommended to also save to a thumb drive or external device. For further assistance, stop by Technology Services.

Q:  How do I access my Morningside Email?

A: The "MySide" page provides quick links to your Morningside Email, CampusWeb, Moodle and other campus info and is handy as your browser homepage.  See:

Q: My logon and passwords don’t work for Moodle or CampusWeb.

A:   Help with these or other questions is available at Tech Services or call  (712) 274-5544.
A:   To reset your password go to:

Q: How can I get help with my computer or a software application? 

A:  For help with your laptop, contact Tech Services.  For help with software, see the "Help" option of the software your're using.  Tech Services staff may be able to assist with some software applications as well.
Tech Services Help Desk:  (712) 274-5544                             Email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)


For helpful tips and answers to many questions see the Technology Services Knowledge Base.

Avoid problems or fatal data disasters by utilizing the technology and resources provided to you on campus.

Welcome to Morningside!

Questions? ... Contact:

Allen Mehlhaff
Director of Client Services
(712) 274-5355
Email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)