Student Technology Assistants
Last updated March 28, 2017
The Department of Information Services employs a number of students to assist in delivering technology services to the campus community. The Student Technology Assistant (STA) Program seeks individuals who possess a genuine desire to learn new skills and share that knowledge with others. STA's work primarily under the direction of the Technology Services Center, but may report to other Information Services personnel as skill sets evolve. Employment as an STA requires a high degree of professionalism, responsibility, and dedication to the Department of Information Services.
Interested applicants may inquire about position openings at the Technology Services Center in the lowel level of Olsen Student Center.
Work experience to be gained from being an STA team member
Basic skills requirements:
- Be conscientious about showing up for work, being on time, and working the entire shift scheduled
- Able to demonstrate a desire and willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others in a constructive manner
- Conduct themselves professionally with students, faculty & staff
- Able to follow directions and assignments given
- Be conscientious to detail and follow-through of projects/assignments
- Practice professional appearance, including personal hygiene, proper attire & uniform shirts, etc. as the occasion dictates
- Be a self-starter and show initiative – but work within the constraints of the respective office/supervisor
- How to troubleshoot Windows or Apple PC’s (desktops and notebooks)—diagnosing and solving a problem.
- Same thing for printers – laser or inkjet printers
- Ability to assist with troubleshooting network connectivity issues
- Know the “best practices” of Morningside’s technology—what our standards are, why consistency is good, etc.
- Gain skills in refurbishing hardware and equipment
- How to diagnose and troubleshoot problems with the Windows and Mac operating systems and application software.
- How to diagnose whether a problem is hardware or software related
Help Desk and First Responders
- Would learn and gain knowledge--through training and work experience--in Microsoft Office suite of programs and be able to assist users via phone or in person.
- Basic knowledge assisting users in Moodle, email systems, fileserver, backing up their data, web page applications, etc.
- Ability and willingness to study and earn A+, Microsoft Office or other certifications as appropriate
- Learn setup and use of a variety of technology equipment and software