Last updated November 22, 2016
- Begin self-exploration and assessment of your interests, abilities, skills and values. Career Services has access to a career assessment you can complete on-line anytime. Afterwards, schedule an appointment with Career Services to analyze your results and map out your short term plans and goals.
- Research areas you are interested in learning more about. This can be done with alumni connections, informational interviews, sessions with Career Services or through research on-line and in the library. Check out our tools on the website, including America’s Career Infonet and O*Net . Begin to take 100 level courses within your area of interest and take other electives and general education courses that you think you might enjoy.
- Get acquainted with faculty, academic advisors and counselors who can help you with your career plans.
- If you are considering graduate, medical or law school, begin investigating your options and prerequisites as soon as possible. See Graduate School Timelines. You may also want to consider pursuing a prestigious fellowship experience. Contact Career Service for more information on the pre-application for the Rhodes Scholarship.
- Officially declare your major by second semester (Registrar’s Office).
- Identify typically work duties, values and lifestyle norms of your career area.
- Begin to investigate possible internships or independent research projects that will help you attain your Morningside goals.
- Develop a resume and meet with Career Services to evaluate it.
- Schedule an appointment with Career Services for a mock interview.
- Identify an alumni mentor through Career Services or the Alumni Office to discuss your plans and get advice on setting and meeting your goals.
- You may also want to consider pursuing a prestigious fellowship experience. Contact Career Service for more information on the pre-application for the Rhodes Scholarship.
- Update your resume, develop a cover letter and meet with Career Services for evaluation.
- Confirm an internship or individual research project and get it approved by your academic advisor. Internship opportunities are available on the College Central Network job site.
- Investigate professional organizations within your area of interest.
- If you are considering graduate school, begin researching immediately.
- Update and refine your resume.
- Begin your job search plans. Identify the career areas you would like to work in, geographic location, target employers and salary requirements.
- Attend Job fairs, networking events and on-campus interviews with employers.
- Check out the job postings on-line.
- Construct alternate career plans as a back up.
- Evaluate job offers, and update Career Services on your post graduation plans.
- Communicate with your advisor to ensure you are taking courses in the correct sequence.
- Continue to self assess yourself through volunteer, service learning, extra-curricular activities, employment or job shadowing experiences within your area of interest or chosen career field.
- Consider taking leadership roles in campus or community organizations to hone your communication and presentation skills
- Check out the College Central Network job site.
Morningside College, 1501 Morningside Ave., Sioux City, IA 51106 (712)274-5000