Last updated November 07, 2017
The Morningside College campus is located in a residential suburb in the southeastern part of Sioux City. The entire campus is a National Register of Historic Places District for its mixture of Romanesque, Italian Renaissance Revival, and Art Moderne buildings, interspersed with newer, contemporary buildings. The 68-acre campus is adjacent to a city park, swimming pool, tennis courts, eating establishments, and is a short drive from a major regional shopping mall and a new shopping center. To view an interactive map of the campus, click here.
Lillian E. Dimmitt Alumni House (1600 sq. ft.): Originally built in 1921, was the home of Lillian E. Dimmitt, who was Dean of Women for 26 years. In 1983, the house was dedicated and used as a meeting place for alumni. It remains a site for meetings and smaller gatherings.
Charles City College Hall (11,448 sq. ft): (1890), the first building on Morningside's campus, is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was erected when the college was known as The University of the Northwest. Previously used as a conservatory of music, Charles City was extensively restored in 1989. It now houses classrooms and offices for the History and Political Science, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Theatre Departments.
Bass Field, near the center of campus, is the location for a number of outdoor events, including intramural sports and other student activities.
Lillian E. Dimmitt Residence Hall (109,196 sq. ft.): (1927) houses 380 students, which includes 14 apartments. It is named for Lillian E. Dimmitt who was Dean of Women for 26 years.
Eugene C. Eppley Fine Arts Building (81,575 sq. ft.): (1966) provides one of the finest music and art facilities in the region. The auditorium seats 1,400 people and is noted for the majestic Sanford Memorial Organ used for recitals and teaching. The organ was a gift of Art and Stella Sanford of Sioux City. The Eppley Art Gallery, located in the foyer, regularly features exhibitions by guest artists, faculty, and students.
3800 Garretson House (2,200 sq.ft.): Totally renovated home in 2010 which houses 8 students. Four bedrooms; three bathrooms; full kitchen. Students residing in the house are not required to on the college's foodservice plan.Â Reserved Parking lot.
3804 Garretson House (1,700 sq.ft.): Totally renovated home in 2010 which houses 8 students. Four bedrooms; three bathrooms; full kitchen. Students residing in the house are not required to be on the college's foodservice plan. Reserved Parking lot.
Grace United Methodist Church (1960) is located on the southeast corner of the campus.
Hickman-Johnson-Furrow Learning Center (36,950 sq. ft.): (1984) includes the former Wilhelmina Petersmeyer Library and Marian Jones Hall of Culture. This building was first constructed as a gymnasium in 1913, converted to the Petersmeyer Library in 1955, and completely renovated and expanded in 1984. In 2005, the building was redesigned as a Learning Center to include library services, group study areas, a computer lab, Student Academic Support Services, and the Spoonholder Cafe. The library holds a collection of more than 76,189 volumes, 255 serials subscriptions, and approximately 17,000 full text journals through databases. The building also houses classrooms, the Mass Communication Department, visual art displays, and the Education Resource Lab.
Hilker Campus Mall (2008) is a pedestrian mall and green space that starts at the back of Lewis Hall, extends south past the Hickman-Johnson-Furrow Learning Center and terminates at a parking lot off of Garretson Avenue near the Eppley Fine Arts Building. The mall incorporates three new outdoor gathering spaces: the Buhler Outdoor Performance Center, the Lieder Fountain and the Kline Family Pergola.
Hindman/Hobbs Center (70,810 sq. ft.): (1989) includes facilities for all recreational and intramural programs and features three activity courts, a swimming pool, weight rooms, and an indoor track, as well as classroom facilities, and offices. It is the home of the Mustang wrestling and swimming teams. Recreational and fitness programs and all facilities are available to students, faculty and staff. The center underwent significant renovation during 2006, including the installation of new sports performance floors for the activity courts and indoor track.
Elizabeth and Irving Jensen Softball Complex was completed in 2006. It is located near the center of campus and features cement dugouts, seating for 400, and a two-story press box. The complex is home to the Mustangs' softball team.
Klinger-Neal Theatre (12,812 sq. ft.): (1964) includes a 300-seat theatre and support areas. The theatre features a variable performance space allowing for proscenium, thrust, and arena staging.
Lags Hall (19,800 sq. ft.): (2007) features single bedroom housing. This apartment-style residence hall houses 60 students in 15 four-bedroom suites, complete with restroom and living room/kitchen area. The facility also features a large community room and fitness center. Lags Hall is home of the Morningside College Leadership Academy.
Helen Levitt Art Gallery (1998), adjoining the Eppley Fine Arts Auditorium, is home to the Levitt art collection which includes work by internationally famous artists. Works by Tamayo, Rauschenberg, Johns, Frankenthaler, Nevelson, Motherwell, Miro and Hockney are included in the million dollar collection.
Lewis Hall (54,690 sq. ft.): (1900), Morningside's second oldest building, contains administrative offices, Student Services, and classrooms and faculty offices for the Education, English, Modern Languages, and Nursing Departments.
Robert M. Lincoln Center (26,162 sq. ft.): (1974) houses the U.P.S. Auditorium, business library, conference rooms, and the Center for Entrepreneurship and Education, as well as classrooms and offices of the Business Administration and Economics Department.
The MacCollin Classroom Building, adjoining the Eppley Fine Arts Auditorium, houses offices, art studios, practice rooms and classrooms for the Music and Art Departments.
The O'Donoghue Observatory (678 sq. ft.): (1953) is equipped with a twelve-inch reflecting telescope but is currently closed.
Elwood Olsen Stadium (1940), formerly Roberts Stadium, is home to Morningside's football, soccer and track and field teams. More than $2.5 million in renovations to the stadium were completed in 2005, including the installation of field turf and a new track, new field lighting, and a new parking lot.
The Olsen Student Center (41,017 sq. ft. ): (1962) is the hub of student activity on campus and is the location for many college and community activities. Over $2 million in renovations to the main level of the building were completed in 2007, including complete remodeling of the Dick and Marty Wikert Dining Hall, lobby, Hickman Room, and Yockey Family Community Room. The building also houses Buckingham's Snack Bar, the Bookstore, the Office of Residence Life, Campus Security offices, Student Government and student activities office, Health Services, the Technology Services Center, and the student post office.
Physical Plant/Facilities Building (11,500 sq. ft.): (2007) is located on the south edge of the campus. It is home to the maintenance department and the print shop.
Donald E. Poppen Apartments (12,500 sq. ft. ) and the Joan L. and Norman W. Waitt, Sr. Apartments (12,500 sq. ft. ):
(2003) house a total of 72 students. Each apartment has three or four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a shared living room/kitchen area. Study rooms, laundry facilities, and parking are also available on site.
Residence Complex (26,733 sq. ft.): (1966) houses 93 students.
Roadman Hall (75,990 sq. ft.): (1953) houses 248 students and one professional staff member. Along with student rooms, the building contains 12 apartments. It also houses the Information Services Center and includes the Iowa Communications Network (ICN) classroom. Extensive renovations of the south wing of Roadman were completed in 2005 and included installation of air conditioning in each student room, new restroom and laundry facilities, and a new combination kitchen/study area. The building is named for Dr. Earl Roadman, president of Morningside from 1936 to 1956.
Rosen-Verdoorn Sports Center-George M. Allee Gymnasium (45,382 sq. ft.): (1949) seats more than 2,500 spectators and houses athletic offices as well as the athletic training room and a weight room facility. In 2007, the college invested nearly $3 million in renovations to the facility, including construction of a new lobby, concession stand, M-Club Room, and restrooms. A new roof, as well as new windows and a new heating and cooling system, were also installed. It is home of the Mustangs' basketball and volleyball teams.
James and Sharon Walker Science Center (37,393 sq. ft.): (2001) is a renovated science facility comprised of the A. W. Jones Hall of Science (1948) and the Jacobsen Annex (1969). Facilities include classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices for Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematical Science, Physics/Engineering, and Psychology.