MySide Search
MySide Site Logo
Home » Campus Offices » Residence Life » Residence Life FAQs

Residence Life FAQs

Last updated June 22, 2015

Questions about the Freshman Halls
Are there special activities?

Yes.  These will vary somewhat by floor, depending on the needs and interests of the floor, but there will be special activities and events for the freshman halls.  These activities and events will be geared to guiding our new students through their first year of college.

What are the benefits to living on a freshman floor?

The biggest benefit is that you will be living on a floor with people who are in the same situation as you: freshmen looking to meet people and make new friends. Other benefits are not as noticeable, but are still present. For example, the Residence Hall Association representatives are able to take advantage of leadership opportunities. Another more subtle benefit is that the freshman hall RA's are handpicked to work with freshman students. Freshmen will have the benefit of having access to some of the most friendly and responsible student leaders on campus.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up for housing?

Once your college application and deposit have been received, you will be sent a link to your Dashboard.  Your Dashboard will guide you through the items you need to complete, including a link to your online housing application.  Applications will be processed in June in the order in which they were received.  Be honest when completing the Roommate Selector Form, this information will be used to pair you up with a roommate.  The priority deadline for fall housing applications is May 1.  Applications for spring semester will be processed in mid-December. 

How are students assigned to rooms/roommates?

Rooms will be assigned based on the building and room preferences you indicated on your housing application. Rooms are based on availability when the application is processed.  Applications are processed in the order they are received.  Roommates are paired up using the information provided on your housing applicaiton

How do I get mail?

Every resident student is issued a campus mailbox.  You will receive your box number and combination when you arrive on campus.  Please follow this link for more information on the Student Post Office

Do I need property insurance?

Morningside College does not cover damage to or theft of student possessions.  It is recommended that you check with your parent's home owners insurance and find out what items they cover or purchase a renters insurance policy. Morningside College recommends all students purchase renters insurance.

What comes in the rooms?

Internet, Cable TV
Double rooms are furnished with 2 beds (standard twin or ex-long twin), 2 desks, 2 chairs, 2 closets or wardrobes and most rooms have dresser space. The Plex has clothing storage provided in wardrobes not dressers. In addition, every room has basic cable and internet access. 

Do I need to bring carpet and/or curtains?

If you live in Roadman (2nd or 3rd North or Grnd, 1st, or 3rd South) or  Dimmitt Hall, you may want to bring carpet as those rooms have tile floors.  All windows have mini-blinds.

Is there anything NOT allowed in the residence halls?

The following items are not allowed: microwave ovens, halogen lamps, incense, candles, air conditioners, pets (other than fish), any appliance with an open heating element (this includes the George Foreman grills), and weapons/guns.  No items are allowed to be mounted on walls, this includes TVs.

Can I bring a loft?

Morningside College is in the process of updating residence hall room furniture.  In the rooms where new furniture has been installed the beds are already lofted so personal lofts are not allowed.  In all other rooms lofts are allowed.  Please see lofting rules for a list of rooms that have lofts and lofting instructions.

Can I live/stay in my room all year long?

The residence halls close for the Christmas/Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break. The residence halls remain open during long break weekends and Thanksgiving Break.

When can I move in?

Your move in day will be mailed to you in your housing letter.  Move in dates are scheduled to coincide orientation activities.  Students are not permitted to move in early.  Coaches will make arrangements for fall athlete housing. 

Where do I report on Move-In Day?

Students are to report to the residence hall in which they will be living. During assigned check in times Residence Hall staff will be in the lobby to assist with check-in. Each student will be asked to verify and sign a room inventory. It is important that each student checks to make sure that the room inventory accurately describes the condition of the room and its furnishings. This same form is used at the end of the academic year when assessing room damages. 

Are phones provided and can I make long distance calls from my room?

Phones are not provided in individual rooms in Dimmitt Hall or the Garretson Houses.  All Residence Halls have central Lobby phones.  Students living in Roadman Hall, The Plex, Poppen Hall, Waitt Hall, and Lags Hall can provide their own landline phone and can make local calls without charges.  Students will need a phone card to make long distance calls.  

Are rooms air conditioned or can I bring my own? 

All rooms in Dimmitt Hall, Waitt Hall, Poppen Hall, and Lags Hall are air conditioned.  Rooms in Roadman South are also air conditioned.  The room numbers for Roadman South are 30-41, 130-142, 230-246, and 330-349.   Due to electrical requirements, NO rooms are permitted to install personal window or portable air conditioners.

Is there storage in the residence halls? 

Unfortunately, there is no storage space available. All furniture in residence hall rooms must stay in the room.

Do I clean my own room or is there a maid?

All students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Vacuums, brooms, and dustpans are available at the front desk of each residence hall. Students are responsible for taking their room trash to the outside dumpsters. Trash is not to be left in the hallways or stairwells. The public areas of the residence halls (bathrooms, hallways, etc.) are cleaned by the Housekeeping staff. 

Where do I wash my laundry?

There is a laundry room in each residence hall. The laundry room is available 24 hours/day.

Where do I eat?

All students who live on campus are required to have a meal plan. The dining hall is located in the Olsen Student Center.

How do I hang up posters/pictures in my room? 

Use putty/handi-tak to hang up pictures and posters. Poster putty/handi-tak can be found at most discount stores (please buy the white or yellow).

Can I bring a car to campus? Where can I park my car?

All students are able to bring a car to campus. All vehicles operated or parked on campus must have a valid parking permit. Parking lots are assigned based on the building the student lives in.  Parking permits will be issued on Validation Day.

What if I get sick?

The College Health Office is located in the lower level of the Olsen Student Center. It is open Monday-Friday and is staffed by a registered nurse. Nurse practitioners and doctors are available at designated times during the week. In case of an extended illness, hospitalization, or family emergency, the Student Services Office (712-274-5104) should be notified. In cases of minor illness, which causes a student to miss class, it is up the student to inform his/her instructors as to why he/she was absent from class.

What size are the beds in the residence halls?

The mattresses in these residence hall rooms are extra-long (36”x80”): Dimmitt Hall, Roadman Hall rooms 30-41, 130-142, and 330-349, Poppen Hall, Waitt Hall, Lags Hall, or Garretson Houses. Residence Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities.  Proceeds from this program go to the RHA and are used for programming in the residence halls. Extra-long sheets will fit on a standard bed. Please visit the RHL website