Last updated May 10, 2018
What constitutes a mental health crisis/emergency needing immediate attention?
- Suicidal ideation (thoughts/plan of harming self), suicidal threat, or suicide attempt
- If the student has made an attempt, or you suspect has made an attempt, call 911.
- Homicidal ideation (thoughts/plan of harming others)
- Seriously diminished contact with reality or paranoia
- Recent sexual assault
- Recent death or grief experience (death of family member, friend, etc.)
- Recent or current panic attack
- Extreme emotional distress that has lasted for hours and is not improving
What do I do if I am in crisis?
If you are experiencing an emergency during normal business hours, please contact Bobbi Meister in the Olsen Student Center or Karmen Ten Napel in Lewis Hall immediately. We will assist you in getting a same-day emergency/crisis appointment, either with Bobbi or with staff at Siouxland Mental Health Center in Sioux City. If you are experiencing an emergency after normal business hours, during the weekend, or during a school break, you may contact Residence Life on-call staff, Campus Security at 274-5234, call 911, or go to the emergency room at Mercy Medical Center or Unity Point Medical Center.