Music Student Organizations, Resources, and Opportunities
Music Undergraduate Program Information
- National Associaton for Music Education (Nafme): The National association for Music Education is the largest professional organization for music educators in the United States. Collegiate members of MENC have many opportunities to network with full-time music educators, attend workshops and clinics, and participate in activities that will prepare them for a career in music education. Morningside Nafme members meet monthly and have several opportunities to get hands-on experience working with students from throughout Siouxland.
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia – Gamma Xi chapter: The Object of This fraternity shall be for the development of the best and truest fraternal spirit, the mutual welfare and brotherhood of musical students, the advancement of music in America, and a loyalty to the Alma Mater. The Gamma Xi chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity of America has been active on the campus of Morningside College since June 4, 1941. The Gamma Xi chapter has strived to advance music in America through community service activities such as Music Missions and Busking for St. Jude's Children's Hospital in collaboration with Mu Phi Epsilon.
- Student Music Advisory Council (SMAC): The purpose of the Student Music Advisory Council is to improve communication between music faculty and the music student body, identify and solve areas of concern, and celebrate the joy that music brings to Morningside College. Since its formation in the spring of 2008, SMAC has sponsored social events for music faculty and students and has been active in renovating the practice room hallway and student lounge. In the spring of 2009, SMAC sponsored the first annual Music Department Variety Show to raise money for the Food Bank of Siouxland.
- Music Dept Handbook
- Awarding Credit
- Application for General Student Recital
- Piano Maintenance Request Form
- Instrumental Health and Safety
- Vocal/Choral Health and Safety
Other Opportunities for Students
- Betty Ling Tsang Fine Arts Series: Morningside College students are encouraged to audition for musical theatre productions in the Betty Ling Tsang Fine Arts Series. Performances are held in the beautiful Buhler Outdoor Performance Center on the Morningside College campus during the summer months and Eppley Auditiorium and Klinger Neal Theatre during the school year.
- Leo Kucinski Academy of Music: The Leo Kucinski Academy of Music is an educational outreach of the Morningside College Department of Music. Morningside students may gain valuable professional experience by assisting academy faculty.
- Morningside College Musical Theatre productions: The music and theatre departments collaborate regularly in productions of musical theatre works. Recent shows include Anything Goes, Godspell, Little Shop of Horrors, Oklahoma, and The Mystery of Edwin Drood. In addition, the theatre department presents children’s musical theatre productions each year. All Morningside students, regardless of major, are encouraged to audition for these productions.
- Other performing opportunities: Morningside students have also performed in a number of area ensembles such as the Sioux City Symphony, the Sioux City Municipal Band, the All-America Band, the Sioux City Community Theatre, the Lamb Theatre, and area churches. Students interested in conducting often serve as music directors in area churches. Keyboard students are often hired as pianists and/or organists in area churches.
- Arts events in Sioux City: Morningside students can enjoy the benefits of living in a community with numerous arts events such as the Sioux City Symphony concerts, touring Broadway shows at the Orpheum Theatre, performances by internationally known performers on the Sioux City Concert Course, outstanding performances sponsored by the Sioux City Chamber Music Series, and musical theatre productions at the Sioux City Community Theatre and the Lamb Theatre. Students attend most of these events either for free or at a reduced student rate.
- Internships: Morningside College music students have completed internships in a wide variety of organizations including Sioux City's Lamb Theatre, the National Music Museum in Vermillion, South Dakota, the Sioux City Symphony, and area high school choral and instrumental programs.
- Music Education experiences: Music education students have the opportunity to help teach summer music classes to K-5 students at Mary Treglia Community House¡¦s Camp Imagination and in music camps for preschool students held on our campus. During the school year, students involved in our Morningside Music Educators chapter design experiences for elementary students in partnership with and hosted by the Betty Strong Encounter Center.