The Pre-Dental program at Morningside prepares students for entry and success in graduate dental programs leading to the DDS degree. Courses in chemistry, biology, and physics as well as the DAT test are required for admission to dental school.
Understanding Your Undergraduate Path:
Typically, students at Morningside College who identify as Pre-Dentistry major in Biology and/or Chemistry and then add appropriate prerequisites. Specific requirements vary from school to school, but below are some common minimum course requirements. Be sure to consult with your Academic Adviser, Faculty Adviser, or an adviser at the school or college of dentistry that you plan to attend.
- Two Semesters of Biology
- Two Semesters of General/Inorganic Chemistry
- Two Semesters of Organic Chemistry
- Two Semesters of Physics
See Suggested Four Year Plans by Major (Biology, Chemistry)
Students need to also consider the following requirements during their undergraduate path:
- Take Dental Admissions Test (DAT); Need to score a minimum of 18 on the DAT
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.3
- A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree (required by many schools)
- Involvements to help to be competitive in the application process including research, shadowing, and volunteer service hours.
Applying for Dentistry School:
Requirements for admission usually include the following:
- An interview
- An essay and personal statement
- Letters of recommendation